Wednesday, July 29, 2009

*sigh*

I just got the most... irritating email.

Friend writes to me:

"I'm really happy for you and I'm not surprised to tell you the truth. I always had faith it would happen. I know too many people who were discouraged and they have all had kids since."

I could just be hormonal and tired (ok, I AM hormonal and tired), but this feels to me like she's saying, "See? I told you it would all turn out ok - you just needed to have faith!"

No. Actually, what we needed was $12,000, a good drug plan, five years, a viable and willing donor, a chunk of counselling, great doctors, weight watchers, a gym membership, healthy eating, a strong support system and a crap load of luck.

This does NOT happen for everyone. It is NOT just a matter of "believing."

Yes, faith plays a role. But there is way more to it than that.

It feels like she's saying that everyone eventually gets pregnant if they just keep trying. And I find that really insulting.

No comments:

Post a Comment