Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dear Baby, Week 5

I'm not quite clear why they consider this week 5, when you were technically only conceived three weeks ago, but anything that brings me closer to week 12 is fine in my book.

Apparently, you're in the middle of your very first growth spurt. You look like a tadpole, but you are sprouting tiny buds that will eventually become your limbs. Your vital organs are in place and growing.

I marvel at this, as you really haven't become real to me yet. It seems like you are still this imaginary being out there in the ether. We've been trying for so long to create a vessel for you, it seems crazy to think there actually is one. But there is. And you're amazing.

Your Daddy and I found out you were coming a few days ago, and we've both been staring at each other in delighted awe ever since. My first words when I found out were "SHUT UP!", which I admit don't seem great for posterity, but I just couldn't believe it. We'd both convinced ourselves that you wouldn't be coming at all - we were so afraid of the disappointment.

Your Daddy did what your Daddy does, and pulled a movie quote out of his butt. He exclaimed, in the Brownie voice from Willow, "We have a baby! We stole it from OWD while she was taking a peepee!"

And Baby, people are just so happy to hear that you're coming. Your Grandma cried, your Granny jumped up and down. Your Grandpa Will was driving, and had to pull the car over. And your Pépère Leo just laughed in delight. And we have this wonderful circle of friends who love us who have been wishing and praying and hoping that you would come along. I think it's safe to say, Baby, that not many babies could possibly be more wanted and more hoped for than you.

I can barely believe it, but I love you already. But then, I've loved you for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment