Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dear Moe - Welcome to the World!

There are no words to describe how much we are ridiculously in love with you.

It has been an eventful few days, my love. We thought we'd have a few more weeks until you joined us, but the doctors decided it was time to bring you out because of my blood pressure. So you were induced on Thursday night (a week ago tonight!), and you came out early on Saturday morning. (You are a Baconfest Baby!) I'll write you the story of how you were born sometime in the next little while, but it suffices to say that we were in love with you from the moment we saw you.

I call you my little pigeon because of the adorable cooing noises you make. You didn't cry for 12 hours, only breaking your silence when we gave you a bath. Daddy was quite relieved to hear your voice for the first time.

We struggled quite a bit with nursing while we waited for my milk to come in - you would either keep breaking your own latch or would latch and not suck. You'd keep falling asleep, and we'd have to pump your little arm to keep you awake. So we started supplementing you with formula - and a good thing, too, since you ended up with some jaundice. You've been staying with Grandma at her work for the last two nights - I'm going to hopefully get to pick you up from the Special Care Nursery at some point this morning. I can't wait to have you home with us again.

Here's a photo of you catching some rays:








We both just about died from cute when we saw your position - you are adorable when you sleep like that, and we're enchanted by your hairy back and shoulders. But don't get used to that position - when you come home, it's back on the back for you, sweet pea. :) We are a little concerned that apparently you can already turn yourself over, though! You did it once while in your little tanning bed, and we are both impressed and a little freaked out. You're also gaining weight very well, and I'm sure you're going to be a chunky little monkey soon.

Just before you were readmitted, we had an appointment with a lactation consultant, and I think it was worth every penny. She gave us some great tips, and you showed her how quickly you could learn. As my milk is now pretty much in, I am confident that you'll get the hang of this soon. And in the meantime, I'm happy to pump for you. We have some great tools for teaching sessions with you - I'm looking forward to the time when you'll be able to nurse like a champ, like I know you can. You've showed us a couple of times.

We've only had one night with you at home, and it went pretty well. At one point you were rather unhappy, and it was because you were kind of gassy. But Daddy took you into his arms and settled you onto his chest, and you fell asleep right away. You hung out together in front of the TV in the middle of the night for about an hour and a half. I've known for some time that sleeping on Daddy's chest is a magical thing - I'm so glad you've figured it out.

We've decided that we'd rather have you sleep in our room for now, so we're building you a bassinet out of a drawer. Daddy is going to find some fairly hard-cell foam, about an inch thick, to create a little mattress for you, and we'll set you up on the dresser where we can get to you quickly, but still both sleep in the same bed.

So far, I'm recovering well from your birth. My ankles are incredibly swollen, but if I keep walking and drinking lots of water, that should go away. My back is also pretty sore - a combination of sore muscles from labour, and finding my way through nursing. We had lots of compliments in the hospital about how great the muscle tone in my stomach is - I was pleased that I worked so hard to get into good shape to carry you. And it was good that I kept up with my yoga.

As I said, I'll tell you about how you were born soon, but I wanted to say one thing about your Daddy. Moe, he is an incredible man. He takes such good care of both of us, and has been totally amazing this past week. I didn't expect anything less, because I know how awesome he is, but I am overwhelmed by his love for us. You have an incredible role model in him, my love. And don't ever doubt that he loves you from the bottom of his heart.

He's back at work today, but I know he's going to rush home at the end of the day at top speed to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment