Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dear Moe (11 Weeks)

Eleven weeks old, sweetheart! Where is the time going? You have had a great week, little man.

First, I think we've solved the burping issue... or at least, it's getting easier. Grandma suggested that maybe you're a relaxed burper, which means that patting you on the back does nothing. Instead, I just get you to relax and I move your torso around. Sure enough, you burp! You may not be burping as efficiently as you were when we did the back patting, but you are burping more consistently, and that's a good thing, sir. Indeed it is.

You do still get gas pains occasionally, and when you do at night I pop you into your little cot and put you in my bed so I can keep a hand on your belly and replace your soother as quickly as possible. Usually, the hand on the belly helps you work through the gas and once you've done that you go back to your crib without an issue.

(Side note. When we do fold you forward to burp you and pat you on the back, you are so cute. You look just like a little hotei - I want to get you a little bag to carry over your shoulder.)

We get to see you sit up more often now - Aunt Laurie and Uncle Scott got you a lovely red bumbo chair. I've put you in it every day, and for the most part you like it very much. I'm looking forward to when you can hold your own head up and sit in it and play with your toys on the play tray.

So I noticed that you really, really favour one side of your head. You constantly look to the right when you're lying down. As a result, your head is getting a little flat on that side. In an effort to strengthen your neck muscles and fix your little melon, I've been doing stuff to correct it and make you look to the left. I roll a little blanket and pop it under your shoulder and beside your head when you lie down, and I prop you with a blanket roll when you sit in your bouncy chair or the car seat. Hopefully this will help and you'll get used to looking to both sides. (Also, you pin your right ear something fierce.)

Another thing we're doing to get your neck muscles stronger is tummy time, and a lot of it. Until now, we've only really been doing it once a day. Now I aim for three or four times a day if we can swing it. You're getting really good at it, too - it's gratifying to see you getting stronger and lifting your head so well.

(Another side note. I think you have your Daddy's feet, darling. They are wide and thick and adorable. When you start to outgrow a sleeper, it's the feet that get tight first.)

This week we went swimming for the first time! It was wonderful - you really enjoyed it. You smiled and looked generally happy and pleased. We'll go again next week for sure, and now that I've been to the pool and seen how it all works, I'm confident I can take you there on my own. Your Aunt JFlo was nice enough to come with us to help out that first time. I didn't have you in there longer than a couple of minutes - I wanted your first swimming experience to be a good one - but I think we can get away with ten minutes next time. And you look so freaking cute in your little swim diaper.

You met a very special person for the first time this week. Your Aunt Natalie came home from Korea and we surprised her at the airport. She seemed quite taken with you, and you with her. :)

You weighed in at 12 lbs and 1/2 oz this week. A few more ounces and you'll have doubled your birth weight! But I think we may skip the well baby clinic this week, if I don't have any questions to ask the nurses. I'd like to take you to Stars and Strollers and watch a movie with you. We'll see how it goes.

I love the way you look at me, especially when I'm feeding you. You have incredibly intelligent and beautiful eyes. And when those eyes cry real tears, it breaks my heart. I love you so much, little Moe. When you are awake and smiling, it is the best part of my day. And tomorrow when I celebrate my very first Mother's Day - a day I used to dread - I want you to know how much happiness you bring me. I love being your Mommy and I couldn't ask for a more wonderful baby. You're simply a fantastic little creature and you make our lives so bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment