Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dear Moe (28 Weeks)

Hello, my darling. Somehow, we've made it to 28 weeks. It's really amazing - in some ways, this is going by so quickly, and in others, it feels like you'll never get here.

You're just over 2 pounds now. Apparently, you can open your eyes and respond to light and sound. You also tend to get the hiccups at least once a day - it's very funny to watch my belly suddenly jolt with each hiccup. Also, your fingernails are developing. I've always marveled at the fact that babies are born with fingernails. Somehow, I wouldn't expect them to emerge so... finished.

We've given a lot of thought as to what some of our preferences will be for labour. Our prenatal class has been really, really helpful. We are going to try and develop good habits right from the get-go: a sip of liquid after every contraction, peeing at least once an hour, sticking together like a team, and a deep cleansing breath at the start and finish of each contraction. We're going to try and stay home for as long as possible to avoid being turned away from the hospital. When we do get there, I'm going to ask that I not be offered drugs - I know they are there if I need them and I don't think it will be helpful to be constantly offered. If the doctor on duty can do sterile water injections, I'd like to try them. And I won't be a hero and not have an epidural if I feel that I can't cope with the pain, but we'll try a few things first, if possible: mixing up our coping techniques for 20 minutes, getting my dialation checked to see where we are in the process, and asking for 5 minutes to think it over. I think we'll be in a good position to make smart decisions. At the end of the day, the main thing is that you arrive healthy. That's our primary goal.

I'm starting to slow down a bit now. I find that sitting for long periods of time makes me somewhat uncomfortable - my back gets a bit sore. I am desperately trying to remember to do my kegel exercises, but it isn't something that stays at the forefront of my mind. I try and do them on the bus when there's nothing else to do. I'm having night sweats and the occasional hot flash during the day. I tend to sweat more than I used to. And by 9:00 pm, I'm done for the day, if not before. (It depends what is on TV.) My appetite has decreased - I'm eating much smaller portions as much stomach competes with you for room. I'm drinking a lot of fluids. I still have nausea and occasional acid reflux, but nothing compared to before I started the prescription for zantac that Dr. P. gave me. What a difference.

We're still making quite a few preparations for your arrival - nothing concrete lately, but we're preparing lists of things to bring to the hospital, people to call or email with the news, things we'll need to buy in that last month, etc. Once your Daddy gets to the other side of the Christmas season, your nursery will begin to really take shape. Right now, his focus is surviving another retail Christmas. And kissing my belly and murmuring your name. I often ask him, "Have you hugged your baby today?" and then he gives you a squeeze and a kiss.

We love you so much, Moe. Keep growing. We can't wait to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment