Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dear Moe (2 Weeks)

Hello, darling. It hasn't been easy to find time to write you letters, but it isn't because I don't care. It's because I'm busy taking care of you! It's hard to believe it's been two weeks already with you in our lives - in some ways, it feels like you've always been here, and in others it all feels very shiny and new.

You've started trying to lift your head, which is adorable to see. You have very strong legs and arms, and your suck is also very powerful! You're a strong little lad, and it is wonderful to watch you try and get stronger.

When we first brought you home, you slept all the time. In fact, it was often a challenge to get you to wake up enough to nurse. You still sleep a lot, but you are able to wake yourself to let us know you are hungry. And sometimes you don't want to fall asleep at all, even though you are very tired. You've had a couple of attacks of gas pains, which have been harrowing on all of us, but are overall a very sweet little guy with a wonderful disposition.

There is also nothing wrong with your ability to poop. Holy cow. There have been a few times where you go through three diapers in one change. Yikes! We call those "thunderpoops".

I try and get outside with you once a day, especially since the weather has been so lovely the last few days. It's been sunny and getting milder. We typically just go for a little walk around the block and check the mail. I'm looking forward to spring being here when we can spend more time outside together. When we go outside, I put you in your wrap. It works well, but I think we'll try the Baby Bjorn soon, as the wrap can make my back kind of sore after a while.

You don't mind the bath, if you can believe it. You wail for a moment when I put you in, but you settle right down very quickly. The bathtub we bought for you is just too big right now, so I've been bathing you in an old roasting pan. It sounds funny, but it's just the right size for you! And it fits on the bathroom counter, so my back doesn't hurt when I bathe you. You're due for a bath today - I hope you still enjoy it.

You are still getting the hang of nursing, but improving every day. You tend to fall asleep at the boob, so I have to pump your arm a little bit or blow gently in your face. (Sorry about that.) We do occasionally give you a bottle - maybe once or twice a day. And I'm still trying to pump a few times a day, too, but it's becoming less crucial since you're nursing so much better.

Your furry brother, as we call him, tends to approach you with a combination of reverence and trepidation. He has given you a head-butt of love once, and tends to meow at us when you are crying, as though he wants to say, "What are you DOING to my baby?" But he has never gotten into your bassinet while you're in it, and generally stays out of it even when you're not.

Daddy's been back at work for a week and a half, but he hurries home in the evening to see you. He's so amazing, Moe. You have no idea how much he loves you. And he takes very good care of us - he sterilizes your bottles and pump attachments, he cooks for us, and he is generally supportive and awesome. Granny has also been here every day, keeping up with the laundry and the dishes, which has been so helpful.

Well, little man, I'm going to sign off. You're sleeping upstairs right now, but I'm not sure how much longer I have before you wake up. Keep growing (but not too fast! you already outgrew the little Pooh hat with ears that you wore in the hospital, and you can't wear your little sleep sack anymore either!) and I hope you can tell how much we love you. I only tell you a few hundred times a day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment