Monday, January 5, 2009

Acupuncture A-Pointy-Mint

So I went for my very first acupuncture appointment on Saturday morning. It was a 2.5 hour long deal, as this was the first appointment, and a good chunk of that involved my medical history.

The actual acupuncture was not at all what I expected.

First, it was painless.
Second, she stuck needles into places I wasn't expecting her to stick needles. (My head and ears - get your mind out of the gutter.)
Third, it was incredibly relaxing. I felt like I'd just had a massage... I was completely relaxed, and actually caught myself drooling a little when I was lying on my stomach.

Basically, she puts the needles in and walks away for 25 minutes, leaving you there. And during that time, I monitored waves of different feelings in various places in my body, and my mind, and emerged feeling like a million bucks. Crazy.

She focused on reproductive and digestive systems for this first appointment, and told me that the benefits of acupuncture are usually felt within the three days following the appointment.

I was on the phone with Marsha yesterday and told her that I didn't have any benefits to report, despite trying to be aware of any changes or feelings.

Half an hour after I got off the phone with her, I got my period. For the first time in MONTHS. And it came as a total surprise because I haven't had any symptoms of PMS - no cramping, no sensitivity, no crazy fatigue.

So, uh... I'm thinking there might be something in this acupuncture thing, and I intend to incorporate it into my IVF regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment