Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Long Goodbye

I've started weaning because there have been a few feedings now where Moe is still hungry after I'm tapped dry. So I gave him a bottle last night before bed. (Cut to me in the bathroom, expressing milk into a washcloth to reduce the engorgement in my left breast.) He's never had a problem taking a bottle, so I know this process will go pretty well. But I'll miss breastfeeding. I'll miss the way our eyes would meet, the way his chubby little hands would sometimes pat my boob, as if to say, "good boob, I love you". I'll even miss the way he would pull off just as the letdown was starting, causing milk to spray everywhere. I'm so pleased I was able to breastfeed - it erased any insecurities I had about him not being of my DNA. It was something we were able to learn together - although it didn't come easily. I'm really grateful for the nursing necklace Ardently made me - I'll keep it as a memento of this special time we shared.

In the meantime, I'm going to start bottle feed him every other feeding, and see where that gets us. Today went really well. I pumped early in the morning to deal with the engorgement, and nursed him once. Other than that, he was getting bottles or sippy cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment