Sunday, November 30, 2008

IAAC Meeting

So today I attended an IAAC meeting. Basically, it's a support group for people struggling with infertility. Rather than sit around in a circle and share, there's a guest speaker who facilitates, and some sharing is done, but it's topical. No one brings teddy bears or councils their inner child.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am so very very very glad I went.

The topic was the emotional impact of infertility, and specifically, coping with the holiday season. I was surprised at how much I got out of it, and how much I was able to contribute.

I met another woman with premature ovarian failure. She's about to undergo IVF with donor eggs - she wasn't able to use a known donor, so she's flying to the Czech Republic next week for her procedure with unknown donor eggs. She has had an unusually violent reaction to the Lupron, and has spent the last 10 days in bed feeling like she's dying. She's very sad because if this doesn't work, she won't be able to go through it a second time. The Lupron was that bad for her. She told me not to be afraid, though - her RE told her that he has never seen anyone react like this to Lupron. It's quite uncommon to have such violent side effects.

She had never met someone with POF, either. It was a powerful experience for both of us. It was really awesome to not be the only "super special rare unique case".

I have some amazing friends - and if you can read this, you can count yourself in with this group. You guys have been incredibly supportive and sensitive. I am aware of how lucky I am to have you. Many of the people I met today have kept their journey totally private - even from their family - because of fear of insensitivity.

And despite how wonderful you are, and how supported I am... it was incredibly powerful to be in a room full of people who get it. And I was struck quite suddenly by how very lonely this whole journey has been. I didn't realize it... until I was suddenly not as lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment